Passenger Ferry Service
After the Cabinet approval for commencement of passenger service between India and Srilanka in the recent past, an MoU was signed between India and Srilanka for operation of Passenger Ferry Service between Tuticorin- Colombo and Rameshwaram and Thalaimannar. Commencement of the passenger service shall give a boost for Tourism Development, Business, Trade and Cultural Development of both Countries. The distance between Tuticorin - Colombo is about 152 nautical miles. It would take approximately 10 - 12 hours to cover the distance.
Based on the direction by the Ministry of Shipping, the Tuticorin Port Management has created appropriate infrastructure for the proposed Passenger service, Priority berthing, exclusively for Passenger Ferry Vessel has been arranged at Additional berth I (Berth No.5) and 9th Berth.
Elaborate discussions with all the stake holders have been conducted to understand the statutory requirements and passenger requirements to augment the facilities.
Passenger Terminal Facilities
The Passenger Terminal spread over an area of 3816 sq.m. Consists of the following amenities
1. 300 Sq.m. Hall for arrival passengers
2. 710 Sq.m. Baggage halls for outgoing (Departure) Passengers
3. 4 cabins for immigration formalities
4. 4 Counters for Customs Checking
5. 612 Sq.m. Customs waiting halls
6. 516 Sq.m Customs examination hall
7. 70 Sq.m. VIP Lounge
8. Facilities for modern canteen, Launch/Snack bar, hall for cabin passengers, agent's room
9. Facilities for Medical Examination and First Aid
10. Facilities for Child Care
11. Fire Fighting Equipments
12. Officers cabin for Immigration, Customs, CISF, and Public Health & Port Authority
13. X-ray baggage screening facilities
14. Rest Rooms for Men & Women
15. Communication and Public Address facilities
16. Camera Surveillance system
17. Uninterrupted power supply system
18. Separate parking facility